26 June 2011

Shrimp Tempura Reckoning

June 26, 2011
Alhambra, CA, US

------------------------

It was only a matter of time. This day had been years in the making. So sweet was the sun setting--an appropriate metaphor for what was about to happen.

Today: I made shrimp tempura.

Yes, that is a shredder used as a drying rack. What? I'm poor! Back off, pal!

This begins with a trip to Woori Market (Link) out in Little Tokyo. Excuse me, sir. Is that jumbo Thai shrimp for 5 bucks a pound? Yessir, I'll take all I can afford! A whopping 2.3 pounds! Getting ritzy up in here!

I planned out the recipe. America's Test Kitchen does a wonderful vodka batter tempura (Link) but seeing how I'm out of vodka and a subscription to the website, Tyler Florence will have to do (Link).


First we wash the shrimp of its sins. It's a baptism, baby!

(Click image for .gif)


OFF WITH THEIR HEADS! (A-Trak goes a blaring)


Seltzer, egg and ice. It's a cure for a hangover somewhere in the world, I'm sure. Why did I not show you it with the flour? And for that matter, why did I not record the battering process? These are very good questions. Very good questions, indeed.

Here's something deep frying to distract you:


Ain't it pretty. A few turns and batches later, we have the whole thing done. Until we fry it again! Muahaha!


Then, since I am an unrepentant sloth, I switched out a very delicate and sharp dipping sauce for instant curry.

College has done terrible things to my sense of self worth.

Of course, this was done all on a lark. Next time, I plan to actually get on that vodka recipe. And probably drink the rest of the fifth which remains.

-P

No comments:

Post a Comment